Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks

I keep the card from my friend Janet's memorial over the phone by my desk. When people ask me who she is and why it's there I tell them it's to remind me of what's important. Janet was always worried about losing her job. Those of us who cared about her only wanted her to be in remission and get well. Unfortunately that didn't happen. When I lost my job at 60, a 4 year breast cancer survivor, and 2 years from my free medical benefits, I was very very conflicted. I was excited about the freedom to paint full time but also very anxious about money and getting medical benefits long term after my Cobra ran out. But I always tried to come back to Janet. Instead of thinking about what I lost I try to think about what I've found the last two years. Here's what I'm thankful for. I'm thankful every time my mammogram or mri is clear.
I'm thankful for my family and close friends. Thanks for always being there - and to all the young people in my life, thanks for always including me in your celebrations and with the next generation of children coming into our lives.
I'm thankful for my job and all the new friends I've made at work. I'm thankful for my Mckinsey family - I love that we keep in touch, both on facebook and in person. I'm thankful for all the old friends I haven't seen in years and have connected with on Facebook. I'm especially thankful for finding my passion for creating art. It's been such a blessing in my life. A happy and healthy holiday to all. Please remember what's important today!

No comments:

Post a Comment